Phone

Phone
call us

Fort Dodge Knows What Breaks on Chromebooks - Here's How to Fix it

According to The Fort Dodge Messenger, "Screens and keyboards are the two most common pieces that would need repairing" on the Fort Dodge High School Chromebooks. Jeremy Pearson, the supervisor of information technology says that they can be repaired, and they can, but parents do not like the $25 per year to do so on a $200 device. Given the fact that these devices are said to be coming with cases, why are screens still getting broken?

The answer is that students hate the cases, assuming they are soft, cumbersome cases that we've seen. In fact, just ask the teachers, who get to carry even larger ones, if they like using them. I took mine out of the case every chance I got. If I had to take my Chromebook home to work on something as a teacher, it went in my backpack. When I left my teaching job, I had to track the case down in my basement.

The other answer we promised was how to FIX the problem, or at least part of it. The screens break because students find ways to bend them (and they are made out of cheap plastic to keep costs down) (and students take the devices out of the cases all the time, even if they say the damage happened while snug in the case). The fix for screen breakage is the Cranium Screen Protector and Whiteboard. Sure, the school district has gotten good at fixing them, but why? Replacing the screen does not make a Chromebook last longer than the Google-stated five years. It does not save money for the district, and it costs more in insurance, which apparently doesn't even cover the full repair amount.

If you are a parent of a Student at Fort Dodge High School, ask about the Cranium, even if you have a case and insurance, at under $20, it's a better investment than either.

If you work at FDHS and would like to have something more useful than a case that is also a whiteboard (great for math or test practice), then find out more about getting your hands on these. They were invented by a teacher from Wisconsin, and they really work. I have a $150 Chromebook that does everything I need and is as sturdy as anything out there. And I just pop it in my backpack when I'm off to a meeting.

Order Craniums in bulk from Educabana.