Phone

Phone
call us

Ridgefield High School May Not Want Donated Chromebooks

When I saw the headlines, I figured Ridgefield High School in Connecticut was getting one of those underhanded donations, like from soda companies that want schools sign vending machine contracts. However, the donation of $13,000 was really from the PTA and meant for technology, and it's an interesting dilemma because the board is concerned that the school should be purchasing what should be required in the classroom rather than the PTA.

With the research I have done about schools using Chromebooks, I can assert that schools get the devices in one of a few ways. One is the budget, but many use grant money, and many also use parent fees. I suppose the school could just call it a BYOD and waive the charges based on the donation. The digital cameras make sense, too, since it's tough to pay for these out of each club's budget. The computer carts, however, I always question, since Chromebooks are designed to last all day and can be stored in pretty much any old box with a plug next to it. And the eventual hope would be 1:1 with students taking them home to charge. Instead of carts, I'd recommend decent Chromebook covers .

Maybe the district should buy the Chromebooks, and the PTA could pay for the $25 yearly insurance many schools charge, or the Cranium Covers. Or both. My kids' school just got Chromebooks through a fundraiser because there was no real budget for the devices, but these are the devices students need, so if Ridgefield High School does not want the money for educational purposes, I'd love to have some to help pay for my kids' school supplies.